To do when you arrive in Australia
When you eventually receive your Australian visa this is the to do list when arriving in Australia.
- Open a bank account within the first week of moving to Australia, This has to be one fo the first things you do when you move to Australia! You cannot even get a prepaid mobile SIM card without this! I’ve explained her how to open a bank account in Australia.
- Register your details with CentreLink, as you may qualify for Family Benefit Payments to help you raise your children and other government assistance such rent assistance, etc.
- Register with Medicare so you can be covered for basic health care services, which includes free public hospital care. And if you are not working or earn below a certain amount you will qualify for subsidized medicines.
- Apply for your Tax File Number (TFN) at the Australian Taxation Office(ATO) after the other above. You will need a TFN in order to receive your pay from your job in Australia.
- If you need help with your English, you may even register for free classes, depending on your visa type. Australian immigration believe this is key to your success and provide up to 510 hours of free tuition under the Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP).
- Apply for a driver’s license within three months of arriving. If you have a drivers licence from another country you can use it for up to 3 months, after which you are required to have an Australian one.
- Enrol your children in school as soon as possible; under Australian law children must attend school up to the age of 15.
[ad code=1 align=center]